If you’re looking to update your home security, one simple and effective way is by rekeying your locks. Rekeying involves changing the internal mechanism of a lock so that it can only be opened with a different key. This is a cost-effective alternative to replacing all your locks and can provide many benefits for your home security.
Comparison: Traditional Vs. Rekey Locks
Regarding securing your home or business, traditional and rekeyed locks are two options to consider. Both have advantages and disadvantages, so it’s essential to understand the differences to make an informed decision.
Traditional locks are locks that have been manufactured with a specific key. They are typically used in residential and commercial settings and are often the most common type of lock. They are easy to install and can be purchased at most hardware stores.
Rekeyed locks, on the other hand, have changed their internal mechanism so they can be opened with a different key. A locksmith typically does this process. Rekeying a lock allows you to use an existing lock without having to replace it. This is a cost-effective alternative to replacing all of your locks.
Pros and Cons of Rekeying Locks
Rekeying locks is changing the internal mechanism of a lock so that it can only be opened with a different key. It is an alternative to replacing all locks in a home or building.
- Cost-effective: Rekeying door locks are typically less expensive than replacing all the locks at home or building.
- Prevents unauthorized access: Rekeying the home’s locks is a great way to prevent previous tenants or homeowners from accessing your property.
- Provides peace of mind: Rekeying locks can provide peace of mind if you’ve lost your keys or are worried about someone else having a copy.
- Increases security: Rekeying locks can upgrade your existing locks to more secure models, providing an additional layer of security for your home or building.
- Time-consuming: Rekeying locks can be time-consuming, especially if you have multiple locks.
- Requires professional help and lock rekeying kit: Rekeying locks typically requires the help of a professional locksmith, which can add to the cost of the process.
- May not solve all security issues: Rekeying locks may not solve all security issues, such as old or worn-out locks that can be easily picked or forced open. In these cases, replacing the locks may be necessary.
- Limited to specific locks: Rekeying is impossible with certain types of locks, such as electronic or smart ones.
Determine When to Rekey Your Locks for Optimal Home Security
Determining when to rekey your locks is important for optimal home security. Here are some key situations in which rekeying your locks is recommended:
After Moving Into a New Home
If you’ve recently moved into a new home, it’s important to rekey your locks as soon as possible to ensure that any previous tenants or homeowners don’t have access to your property.
When Losing Your Keys
If you’ve lost your keys or are worried about someone else having a copy, rekeying your locks can provide peace of mind that your home is secure.
When Experiencing a Break-In
If your home has been broken, it’s important to rekey your locks to prevent the same thing from happening again.
When Experiencing Suspicious Activity
If you notice any suspicious activity around your home, such as someone trying to break in or loitering outside, rekey your locks is a good idea.
After a Renovation
If you’ve recently undergone a renovation and had contractors or other workers in and out of your home, rekeying your locks can ensure they no longer have access to your property.
When Upgrading Security
Rekeying your locks can upgrade your current locks to more secure models, providing an additional layer of security for your home or building.
It’s also significant to keep in mind that rekeying your locks is just one aspect of home security. It’s important to have a comprehensive security plan that includes other measures such as security cameras, alarm systems, and outdoor lighting.
Tips On Maintaining & Upgrading Your Home Security System With Rekey
Maintaining and upgrading your home security system with rekeying is an effective way to ensure that your home or business is safe and secure. Here are some helpful tips for maintaining and upgrading your security system with rekeying:
- Make sure to regularly check your locks to ensure that they are working properly and securely. This will help you detect any issues early on, so they can be fixed before they become a problem.
- Rekeying your locks regularly can help to ensure that your home or business is secure. This is especially important if you have recently moved into a new home or have lost your keys.
- Always use a professional locksmith when rekeying your locks. They have the experience and knowledge to ensure that your locks are properly rekeyed and that your home or business is secure.
- Consider upgrading to smart locks that allow you to remotely lock and unlock your doors, set up access codes for guests, and even monitor who is coming and going.
- Keep your new keys safe and ensure they are not easily accessible to others. This will help to ensure that only authorized individuals have access to your home or business.
- Keep a spare key in a safer place in case of an emergency.
- Rekeying your locks is just one aspect of home security. It’s important to have a comprehensive security plan that includes other measures such as security cameras, alarm systems, and outdoor lighting.
By following these useful tips, you can ensure that your home or business is secure and that your security system is up-to-date. Rekeying your locks is an effective way to maintain and upgrade your security system and will provide you with peace of mind that your property is protected.
Contact an Expert for Rekeying Locks
At King Locksmith Atlanta, everyone should have the security of knowing they are safe and secure. That’s why we offer various locksmith services, ranging from making duplicate keys so you can always have a spare to installing a high-security lock cylinder for extra protection.
Our goal is to deliver the highest quality service for all of your lock needs, from making a single new key for one of your door locks to rekeying an entire lock mechanism for a master key system. We are committed to staying up-to-date on the latest security technologies and products to provide our customers with the best options possible.
If you want to change or upgrade your existing lock, King Locksmith Atlanta is here to help. We can install a variety of door locks as well as provide you with a rekeying kit so you can do the job yourself. No matter your security needs, we have the expertise and experience to give you peace of mind that your home or business will be protected. Contact us today and experience the King Locksmith Atlanta difference!