Investing in high-security door locks can be one of the best decisions you can make when it comes to guarding your home and loved ones. These locks are designed with advanced features and mechanisms that make them more resistant to tampering, picking, drilling, and key duplication than traditional door locks.
Investing in high-security locks ensures that your home doors are protected and that intruders have a much more difficult time trying to gain access.
Check out different types of high-security locks available, their benefits and disadvantages, how they can be installed and maintained, and other security measures that can be used in conjunction with a high-security door lock to secure your home doors.
Different Types of High-Security Locks
Several different types of high-security door locks can be used to keep your home doors secured. Some of the most common types include:
These locks feature patented keyways and keys that are designed to resist picking, drilling, and key duplication. Medeco locks also have a unique system that makes it easier to cut new keys with the proper authorization.
These locks feature a unique patented key system to resist picking, drilling, and duplication. They also use a unique pin and sidebar system that is extremely resistant to lock picking.
Schlage Primus Locks
These locks feature patented keyways and keys that are designed to resist picking, drilling, and key duplication. They also have a unique pin and sidebar system that is difficult to pick.
Abloy Protec Locks
These locks use a rotating disk system that makes them extremely resistant to picking and drilling. They also feature patented keys that are designed to resist key duplication.
Assa Twin Exclusive
These locks feature two independent locking mechanisms in one. Providing the highest level of security against picking, drilling, bumping, and other forms of manipulation.
It’s important to note that these are just a few examples of high-security locks available on the market. Other best door locks are smart locks, keyless locks, cylinder locks, deadbolt locks, and mortise locks. It’s important to research different options and consult a locksmith to determine which type of lock security is best for your specific needs.
Features of High-Security Locks
Investing in the most secure door locks with enhanced features is the best way to ensure your home and family remain safe compared to standard locks. Some of the most common security features include:
Patented Keyways and Keys
High-security locks often use unique keyways and keys that are designed to resist picking, drilling, and key duplication. This makes it much more difficult for intruders to access your home by copying your keys.
Many home security door locks are built with reinforced construction, making them more resistant to drilling, picking, and forced entry.
Many high-security locks have anti-drill plates, anti-saw pins, and anti-bump mechanisms, making it difficult for intruders to tamper with the lock.
Some high-security locks use advanced mechanisms such as disk-detainer, rotating pin and sidebar, smart-key systems, etc., making them difficult to pick or bump.
High-security locks often have a key control feature, which ensures that only authorized individuals can obtain copies of the keys. This helps to avoid unauthorized access to your home.
Certified and Rated
High-security locks are often certified by organizations such as UL, BSI, or SKG and rated for their security level.
Some high-security locks can be controlled by a smartphone, Bluetooth, or other smart devices, allowing you to lock/unlock from anywhere, check the status and receive notifications.
It’s important to note that the features of high-security locks may vary depending on the specific brand and model. It’s important to research different options and consult with a locksmith to determine which features are most important for your specific needs.
Advantages of High-Security Locks Over Traditional Locks
High-security locks offer several advantages over traditional ones that can help keep your home doors more secure. Some of the main advantages include the following:
- Resistance to picking, drilling, and key duplication: High-security locks often use patented keyways and keys that are designed to resist picking, drilling, and key duplication. This makes it much more difficult for intruders to access your home by copying your keys.
- Increased durability and strength: Many high-security locks are built with reinforced construction, making them more resistant to drilling, picking, and forced entry. This increased durability and strength can help to deter intruders and prevent them from gaining access to your home.
- Additional tamper-proof features: High-security locks often have features such as anti-drill plates, anti-saw pins, and anti-bump mechanisms that make it difficult for intruders to tamper with the lock.
- Certification and Rating: High-security locks are often certified by organizations such as UL, BSI, or SKG and rated for the level of security they provide, giving you peace of mind that you have top-quality security on your doors.
In summary, high-security locks offer many advantages over traditional locks, including better resistance to picking, drilling, and key duplication, increased durability and strength, additional tamper-proof features, key control and smart-enabled features, and certification and rating that guarantee their quality.
Tips for Selecting and Installing High-Security Locks for Your Home
When selecting and installing high-security locks for your home, there are a few tips that can help to ensure that your doors are properly secured:
- Research different options: There are many types and models of high-security locks available, so it’s important to research different options and compare their features, prices, and ratings.
- Consult with a locksmith: A professional locksmith can help you to determine which type of high-security lock is best for your specific needs and can provide expert guidance on installation and maintenance.
- Pay attention to certifications and ratings: Look for high-security locks certified by organizations such as UL, BSI, or SKG and rated for their level of security. It will give you peace of mind that you have top-quality security on your doors.
- Choose the appropriate lock for the door: Make sure to match the lock you choose to the type of door you have. For example, a deadbolt is recommended for a wooden door, while a smart-enabled lock would be more appropriate for a metal door.
- Installation location: Make sure to install your high-security lock in an appropriate location on the door. Locks installed at the center of the door are more secure than those installed near the top or bottom.
- Upgrade all doors: For the best security, install high-security locks on your exterior doors, not just your front.
- Professional installation: Make sure to have a professional locksmith install your high-security lock, as they will have the knowledge, tools, and experience to do the job correctly. Improper installation can decrease the effectiveness of the lock.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your high-security locks are properly selected, installed, and maintained and that your home doors are as secure as possible.
Importance of Regular Maintenance and Servicing of High-Security Locks
Regular maintenance and servicing of high-security locks are important in order to ensure that they continue to function properly and provide optimal security for your home. Some of the key reasons why regular maintenance and servicing are important include the following:
Ensuring Proper Lock Functions
Solid door locks can be complex, and various parts may become worn or damaged over time. Regular maintenance and servicing can ensure that all parts are functioning properly so that the lock continues to provide maximum security.
Identifying and Fixing Issues
During regular maintenance and servicing, a locksmith can identify any issues with the lock and fix them before they become bigger problems. This can help to prevent the lock from failing when you need it most.
An intruder can easily bypass a faulty or malfunctioning lock, putting your home and family at risk. Regular maintenance and servicing can prevent this by ensuring the lock is always in good working order.
Keeping Warranties Valid
Regular servicing can include key cutting, adjustments, and replacement of worn-out parts. This will ensure that keys will continue to work with the lock and that any potential key duplication attempts will be unsuccessful.
Keeping Keys and Locks in Synch
Many high-security locks come with warranties, but these warranties may only be valid if the lock has been properly maintained and serviced.
A smart lock requires regular software and firmware updates. This can be done during servicing visits.
In summary, regular maintenance and servicing of high-security locks are essential in order to ensure that the locks continue to function properly and provide optimal security for your home. It’s important to schedule regular servicing with a professional locksmith and keep records of all maintenance and service for future reference. King Locksmith Atlanta can provide you with the best service and guarantee that your locks will continue to function optimally. Contact us today for a consultation!